Re: newbie Question about PKCS#7

From: Ed Simon <edsimon@xmlsec.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:23:36 -0400
To: "Roman Huditsch" <roman.huditsch@hico.com>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I think the first question to be pondered is NOT "How?" but "Why?".

You can of course use XML Signature to sign a PKCS#7 blob just like you can any other blob.  But I think the implication of your email is that you are looking for some standard specified way of combining PKCS#7 and XML Signature.  There isn't any.  Generally, XML Signature should be seen as the new way of doing digital signatures.

It may make sense to port existing PKCS#7-based applications to XML Signature, but I doubt there would be any value trying to have a single digital signature be a hybrid of both XML Signature and PKCS#7.