Type attribute in Reference element

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@cio.gv.at>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:33:16 +0200
To: "'XMLSigWG'" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Type attribute in the dsig:Reference
element: If this attribute is used, does it relate to

  (a) the result of resolving the URI given in the Reference's URI
      attribute

  (b) the result of processing all the Reference's transforms, i. e.
      the input for digest calculation?

The only hint I can find in the spec is the following sentence from
the last but one paragraph of section 4.3.3.1:

  "The optional Type attribute contains information about the type
   of object being signed."

The phrase "type of object being signed" seems to indicate that (b)
is the right interpretation (which is also my personal favorite ;-)

A similar clarification could make sense for section 4.4.3
(RetrievalMethod).

What do you think? In any case, I suggest a clarification in the
errata document.

Regards, Gregor