Re: New Version of XPath Filter

From: Aleksey Sanin <aleksey@aleksey.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:46:08 -0700
To: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
CC: reagle@w3.org, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

>2. We choose to perform expansion from nodes to node trees outside
>the XPath processor to maximize the possible execution speed. It
>is much faster to evaluate and expand //Foo than to evaluate
>//Foo//self::node(). Remember, the only goal of this transform is
>speed; it doesn't provide any new capability.

I don't think that there is no new functionality at all. For example,
uninon provides new ways
to apply some transforms to a part of the document and add more nodes
later. Also some XPath
implementations operates on the actual nodes sets (no sub-trees!) and by
this construction
S' is an additional and expensive operation!

Aleksey.