Re: XMLP Comments to exc-c14n

Thank you for your comments David.

On Friday 14 December 2001 14:31, David Fallside wrote:
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Dec/0175.html
> Exc-C14N specific:
> For example, the C14N specs do not deal with insignificant
> transformations permitted by various XML Schema built-in datatypes
> such as use of {true,false,0,1} for boolean datatype, or
> case-insensitivity to "e" in scientific notation.

This is correct. exc-c14n is a tweak to Canonical XML, which is based on
Xpath, and preceded both InfoSet and Schema. I expect Infoset and Schema
aware canonicalizations will be proposed and may even be the subject of
chartered work of future activity -- not necessarily xmldsig. However, I do
have a draft for addressing validating augmentations as a xmldsig transform
[e] and some thoughts on schema aware canonicalization. But presently, it's
"unchartered" territory.

[e] http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-transform-xml-validation.html

> Minor comment on definition of terms:
> If "an orphan node is a node whose parent element node is not in the
> document subset"
> then how can there be an "output parent of an orphan node" if this is
> defined to be
> "the output parent of an orphan node .. is the nearest
>    ancestor element of the orphan node that is in the document subset"?

Input:
 o a is an ancestor (grandparent) of c.
 o b is an ancestor (parent) of c.

Output
 o b is absent.
 o a is an "output parent" of c since its the most immediate ancestor in
the output of <c/>.

This text is John's and I had to draw an example tree and label these
things to first grok the terminology. Subsequently, I acknowledge other
readers might have to make a similar effort, but I've been unable to come
up with an alternative that is better expressed. Suggestions?