Re: Canonical XML and xmlns:xml

Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:

> Dear XML Signature WG, John, Joseph,
>
> I just wanted to peek those interested in "Canonical XML" implementations
> using Apache Xalan and Apache Xerces to some directions that I'm not aware
> of whether they make sense or not.
>
> The "Namespaces in XML" rec [1] says:
>
> <SNIP>
> The prefix xml is by definition bound to the namespace name
> http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace. The prefix xmlns is used only for
> namespace bindings and is not itself bound to any namespace name.
> </SNIP>
>
> This means that xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" does not
> have to be declared to be used. But this causes a problem for some XSLT
> folks so the Xalan developers decided to add the above xmlns:xml decl to
> the DOM tree and XPath results.

Just to mention that the Xalan developpers have done nothing more than
follow the XPath rec by doing so ;=) :

"Each element has an associated set of namespace nodes, one for each
distinct namespace prefix that is in scope for the element (including
the xml prefix, which is implicitly declared by the XML Namespaces
Recommendation [XML Names]) and one for the default namespace if one is
in scope for the element."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#namespace-nodes

My 0,02 Euros,

Eric (who has recently opened a bug against libxslt which was not doing so)

--
See you in Orlando for XML 2001.
                                     http://www.xmlconference.net/xmlusa/