RE: New data format to substitute Canonical XML ?!?

Given that virtually every XML document on earth only uses 64 distinct
symbols a 25% saving in space can be achieved using a cheesy FSR that could
be written in about 30 minutes.

The odd thing about the return of the Forces of ASN.1 is that reusing the
ASN.1 encoding format buys you precisely nothing if you are using the XML
data model. You can't use any existing ASN.1 tools and using any of the
toolkits would give you even more indigestion than usual.

In other venues the Forces of ASN.1 have claimed much higher compression -
from 200 bytes to 6. My response is that MD5 is guaranteed to compress *any*
bit stream of any length to 16 bytes and is only marginally harder to decode
than some of the more insane forms of ASN.1.

	Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.