Re: Clarification on 4.3.3.2 and 4.3.3.3

From: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:51:24 +0200
To: Takuya Mori <tk-mori@isd.nec.co.jp>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
> Hi Christian,
>
> Thank you for your comment.
>
>> (uses my
>> registerElementById(Element element, String idValue)), the parser can
>> even  find these elements.
>
> We are also using such kind of tricks.
>
> And my concern is it is somewhat ugly that Id resolution is
> required for well-formed processed documents.

You're right. It's an ugly trick, but the only one that exists. Imagine
you're creating a document from scratch and you want to define IDs. I asked
the xerces-user mailing list and what I got was that there is no way in DOM
to define that an attribute is of type ID during document creation. But I
got a hint that Xerces allows this tricky thing to set IDs during creation:

((org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl) doc).putIdentifier(idValue, element);

So well, that seems to work.

Christian