RE: signature portability / C14N / inherited namespaces

From: John Boyer <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:03:01 -0700
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>, "Rob Lugt" <roblugt@elcel.com>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

Hi Joseph,

<joseph>
If we expect interopability over such ported signatures, should we amend
the
spec with any text to this end?
</joseph>

A lot of applications won't need to remove a signature from its original
location, but it could be useful to add an editors' note to say that
moving such signatures to a different context can break a signature due
to a change of namespace context, and perhaps that this is necessary due
to the impossibility of assessing the namespaces in use by the signed
content.

John Boyer
Senior Product Architect, Software Development
Internet Commerce System (ICS) Team
PureEdge Solutions Inc.
Trusted Digital Relationships
v: 250-708-8047  f: 250-708-8010