AW: DName encoding (was:KeyName white space)

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:48:11 +0200
To: "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>, "Gregor Karlinger" <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Cc: "Tom Gindin" <tgindin@us.ibm.com>, <duerst@w3.org>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Merlin,

> Hi Gregor,
>
> I would actually suggest something much simpler:
>
> Encoding:
>   Take the RFC 2253-encoded name, replace all characters < 32
>   with \XX (RFC 2253 hex encoding) and then UTF-8 decode this.
>   Whitespace format if desired.

> Decoding:
>   Trim whitespace, UTF-8 encode the text and you have the RFC
>   2253-encoded name.

Taking the whole RFC 2253 encoded name leads to the problem that
insignificant white space will turn into significant whitespace
after one round of encoding and decoding:

  Original: "CN=  Gregor Karlinger" (so the value of the AVA is
  "Gregor Karlinger")

  After encoding and decoding: "CN=\20\20Gregor Karlinger" (after
  additionally de-escaping the value of the AVA is now
  "  Gregor Karlinger")

This is the reason why I wrote "on how to encode A STRING IN a
DName" in my proposal.

Liebe Gruesse/Regards,
DI Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at