AW: AW: AW: KeyName white space

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:14:22 +0200
To: <merlin@baltimore.ie>, "Tom Gindin" <tgindin@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Merlin,

> There's another issue that seems relevant. RFC 2253 states
> that strings must be converted to UTF-8 and then the escaping
> rules must be applied. Do we honour this, or should we UTF-8
> decode the RFC2253 string before embedding it in the text node.
>
> Essentially, should the final example in RFC 2253 be encoded
> in XML as:
>
> UTF-8 encode and require ASCII escaping of high-bit-set chars:
>   SN=Lu\C4\8Di\C4\87
>
> UTF-8 encode and embed the result directly:
>   SN=Lu??i?? (where ? is a high-bit UTF-8 byte directly embedded)
>   (Here the meaning is confusing because the UTF-8 encoded
>    text will correspond to some other Unicode charactes, e.g. )
>
> De-UTF-8 and embed the Unicode original:
>   SN=Lu?i? (where ? is the original character)
>
> The last seems like the best option to me.

Doesn't this mean that you MUST use UTF-8 encoding for the XML
document, i. e. that it is impossible to use ASCII or ISO_8859*
since you insert a text node (the DN) which characters are Unicode?

If so, should we really introduce such a restriction?

Liebe Gruesse/Regards,
DI Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at