RE: question on latest spec

Hi Kevin,

The reason is signature interoperability with non-validating processors.

I empathize, though :)

From: Kevin Regan [mailto:kevinr@valicert.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 1:50 PM
To: John Boyer
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: question on latest spec

What is the reason for doing this?  Isn't the exclusion of insignificant
white space one of the key forms of equivalence?  XML documents can be
displayed and handled in many different ways, with white space being
added
or removed from element content at various steps.  In general, this is
not a problem if a DTD is being used.  The meaning of the document
is clear.  However, this form of equivalence is eliminated in the XML
C14N
specification.  Why?

Sincerely,
Kevin Regan