Insignificant whitespace

From: Petteri Stenius <Petteri.Stenius@done360.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:49:51 +0300
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG (E-mail)" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

Hello,

The issue with whitespace in XML element content has been very briefly
discussed during interop testing. I would like raise this issue on the list,
as I believe many people expect insignificant whitespace to be cleaned up by
the C14N algorithms.

The current specification provides no way for an application to skip or
cleanup insignificant whitespace from a signed XML document before
digesting. However, 'insignificant' comment elements are skipped by the
default C14N algorithm!

I think we could make use of a transformation algorithm that cleans up
insignificant whitespace, the algorithm should obviously detect xml:space
attributes.

Petteri

--
Petteri Stenius                          Petteri.Stenius@done360.com
Done Information, Ltd.                         Office +358-9-5259240