Re: xml:base as a PI

Hello John,

I understand that you want to use a PI to indicate the boundaries of
the original external entities in the canonicalized result.

But due to the details of how 'relative URIs in external entities
are resolved based on the base of the relative entity' (as this
is currently defined in XSLT and the Infoset, and is planned to
be defined in XBase; see Dan Connolly's mail for the details:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2000Jul/0005.html),
the base only changes at element boundaries, and the xml:base
attribute can be used in a natural way.

Regards,   Martin.