Re: RetrievalMethod

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:51:52 +0100
To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
r/dee3@torque.pothole.com/2000.08.18/15:43:37

>If the inability to do an HTTP POST is a problem here, which I'm not
>sure it is in a practical sense, then wouldn't we need to generalize
>Reference also?  And no internal structure menas giving up on
>interoperability.

I think that the proposed solution is probably optimal; transform
is known and supported and it covers most needs, subject to a
definition of some standard types. The only motivation for an
extended URI element (e.g., POST) is that, for example, LDAP URIs
can be quite expansive. However, that can be solved in a particular
implementation by a new KeyInfo element in just as interoperable
a manner as an extended URI.

So, I disagree with you not at all.

Merlin