From: tgindin@us.ibm.com [mailto:tgindin@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 12:22 PM
To: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: Re: X509Data tweaks

     There seems to be a misunderstanding about what I proposed.
     The format of the return is indeed a "bag of certs".  What I was
recommending was that the (or at least one) example "bag" be one that
client software could form into a chain if it so desired.  The current
example is a bag in which the certificates have no obvious relationship.
The most common case for multiple certificates "related to a single key"
is
indeed the case where the certificates form one or more chains, is it
not?

          Tom Gindin

"Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>@w3.org on 08/16/2000
02:04:01 PM