Re: Followup on I18N Last Call comments and disposition

At 14:26 8/11/2000 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
 >>Ok. I achieved the symmetry you wanted below. However, it doesn't make
that
 >>much sense to me in that we define the REQUIRED algorithms. Consequently,
 >>shouldn't we just say NFC and UTF8/UTF16 are RECOMMENDED for all , and
 >>define 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 apporpiately (MANDATORY support/creation of/for
those
 >>formats?) Or is it easier to keep it in the general section?
 >
 >Well, whatever you like.
 >>Various canonicalization algorithms transcode from a non-Unicode encoding
 >>Unicode. Where any such algorithm is REQUIRED or RECOMMENDED by this
 >>specification the algorithm MUST perform normalization [NFC]. Otherwise,
 >>normalization is RECOMMENDED. (Note, there can be ambiguities in
converting
 >>existing charsets to Unicode, for an example see the XML Japanese Profile
 >>[XML-Japanese] NOTE.)
 >
 >In the above paragraph, I guess it would be best to change 'normalization'
 >to something like 'text normalization' or so, two times.

Ok, I tweaked the text to:

Various canonicalization algorithms require conversion to [UTF-8].The two
algorithms below understand at least [UTF-8] and [UTF-16] as input
encodings. We RECOMMEND that externally specified algorithms do the same.
Knowledge of other encodings is OPTIONAL.

Various canonicalization algorithms transcode from a non-Unicode encoding to
Unicode. The two algorithms below perform text normalization during
transcoding [NFC]. We RECOMMENDED that externally specified canonicalization
algorithms do the same. (Note, there can be ambiguities in converting
existing charsets to Unicode, for an example see the XML Japanese Profile
[XML-Japanese] NOTE.)

and added the following text to the first bullt of minimal:

o converts the character encoding to UTF-8 (without any byte order mark
(BOM)). /+ Implementations MUST understand at least [UTF-8] and [UTF-16] as
input encodings. Non-Unicode to Unicode transcoding MUST perform text
normalization [NFC].+/