Errors in the XML-Signature spec. examples (Namespace defaulting for attributes)

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:21:04 +0200
To: "XML" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Hi Joseph & Merlin,

while trying to verify Merlins signature examples with our implementation,
I detected the following problem, which applies to Merlins examples as
well as to the examples in the XML-Signature specification in chapter 2.

All the examples are constructed in the following way: A default namespace
attribute is declared in the Signature element (see line [s01] in chapter
which should apply to all descendants as well.

The problem is, that a default namespace does not apply to descendant
attributes, but only descendant elements
(see http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#defaulting).

I suggest to assign the XML-Signature namespace via a explicit namespace
attribute (line [s01] could look like

Regards, Gregor
Gregor Karlinger
Phone +43 316 873 5541