RE: AW: Errors and Questions

From: Mark Bartel <mbartel@thistle.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:17:53
To: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>, xmldsig <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Gregor Karlinger wrote:
> I suggest to tweak the text as follows:
>
>   While we specify a mandatory and optional to implement SignatureMethod
> algorithms,
>   user specified algorithms are permitted. Both algorithms specified by this
>   specification and user specified ones MUST use Base64 [MIME] as their
> encoding
>   method.

Hi Gregor,

The idea behind not specifying an encoding attribute was to avoid a
potential interoperability nightmare with people specifying arbitrary
encodings.  There is no need for it.  However, base64 may not be the
optimal encoding in user-defined cases, particularly if the data is
already in text or xml format.  Therefore the current text.

-Mark Bartel
JetForm Corporation