Re: CanonicalizationMethod

Brian LaMacchia <bal@microsoft.com> wrote:

> You need to remove "(applied if this element is omitted)" because the
> element MUST be present.  So I think it should now read:
>
> CanonicalizationMethod is a required element that specifies the
> canonicalization algorithm applied to the SignedInfo element prior to
> performing signature calculations. This element uses the general structure
> for algorithms described in section 6.1: Algorithm Identifiers and
> Implementation Requirements. The MANDATORY to implement canonicalization
> algorithm
> is Canonical XML [XML-C14N].

In similar vein, CanonicalizationMethod is treated as optional in a few
other places:

(1) In section 2.0, the overall structure is outlined:

             <Signature>
               <SignedInfo>
                 (CanonicalizationMethod)?
                 (SignatureMethod)
                 <Reference (URI=)? >
                   (Transforms)?
                   (DigestMethod)
                   (DigestValue)
                 (</Reference>)+
               </SignedInfo>
               (SignatureValue)
              (KeyInfo)?
              (Object)*
             </Signature>

(2) In section 2.1, one annotation says:

            [s03] The CanonicalizationMethod is the algorithm that is used to
            canonicalize the SignedInfo element before it is digested as part
            of the signature operation. In the absence of a
            CanonicalizationMethod element, no canonicalization is done.

(3) The first step in section 3.1.2 says:

                1. Create SignedInfo element with SignatureMethod,
                   CanonicalizationMethod if required, and Reference(s).

Thomas Maslen
maslen@pobox.com