From: Barb Fox [mailto:bfox@Exchange.Microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 4:03 PM
To: Kevin Regan; w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: XML Signature Section 4.4 (KeyInfo)

Kevin:

KeyInfo is intended to be about the single key that matters to a
verifier: the public verification key.  It is simply hints to a verifier
about the public key associated with a specific signature that he can
feed into his acceptance policy.

The important point here tho is that X.509 certificates are only one
form of evidence that can be sent to a verifier by a signer. A signer
may also choose to send verifier(s) lots of KeyInfo types (PGP, SPKI,
X.509) on the same key.  In your example, he may want to send a bunch of
X.509 certs (about the same key) from lots of different CA's.  We were
careful not to drag any trust model assumptions into this standard.

Bottom line: a single KeyInfo should refer to the same key.  I'm still
not convinced that we need to change any wording.

--Barb