 Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:09:20 -0400
 To: Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com>
 From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
 Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
 Subject: Re: Valid XML and Schema Normative?
 At 12:52 2000-07-06 -0400, Ken Goldman wrote:
  >Could you give an XML snippet of this, showing the issue?

 Assuming that the following well formed XML instance reference
 and signature validates, is the following example a valid
 Signature? (It violates the specified content model).

 I'm slightly confusing the syntactical violation with a clear violation
 of semantics ("disclaimer") just to show why this might be important,
 but [x01-03] could be any name space qualified and wellformed XML.

    [s01] <Signature Id="MyFirstSignature"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/02/xmldsig#">
    [s02]   <SignedInfo>
    [x01]     <disclaimer xmlns="http://badactor.com/2000/v3">
    [x02]     <declaration>this signature is invalid on
tuesdays</declaration>
    [x03]     </disclaimer>
    [s03]   <CanonicalizationMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-c14n-20000119"/>
    [s04]   <SignatureMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/02/xmldsig#dsa-sha1"/>
    [s05]   <Reference URI="http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/">
    [s06]     <Transforms>
    [s07]       <Transform
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-c14n-20000119"/>
    [s08]     </Transforms>
    [s09]     <DigestMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/02/xmldsig#sha1"/>
    [s10]     <DigestValue>j6lwx3rvEPO0vKtMup4NbeVu8nk=</DigestValue>
    [s11]   </Reference>
    [s12] </SignedInfo>
    [s13]   <SignatureValue>MC0CFFrVLtRlk=...</SignatureValue>
    [s14]   <KeyInfo>
    [s15a]    <KeyValue>
    [s15b]      <DSAKeyValue>
    [s15d]      </DSAKeyValue>