Re: Separate namespace for KeyInfo?

"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:
> I still don't understand (please show me an example of what this provides
> above/beyond my example).

Actually, your example is fine. Adding a new namespace for general crypto
references is not so much a matter of simplifying a concrete specification, but
can help (in my view) to make the design of additional Schemata using crypto
easier, as there is a canonical place to look for previous definitions of crypto
primitives. It could help to avoid multiple definitions of the same algorithms
in several places, as happened with OIDs. As I have not been involved in the XML
Signature definition process up to now, I am not sure if, how and when this can
be realized, but I like the idea of crypto namespaces along the lines sketched
by Ed Simon, where the definions might even contain informational mappings to
OIDs.

But then, this might also be

> interesting, but a bit
> too advanced for my tastes at this moment.

Malte

Malte Borcherding              Technical Research Manager
BROKAT Infosystems AG          Voice: (+49)711-78844 231
Industriestr. 3                Fax:   (+49)711-78844 779
70565 Stuttgart                WWW:   http://www.brokat.com
Germany                        email: Malte.Borcherding@brokat.com