RE: Faulty DTD of Object element

From: Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:15:08 -0500
To: "'w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org'" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Gregor wrote...
	I think the DTD given in section 4.5 is incorrect (at least it
contradicts the Schema definition):
	  <!ELEMENT Object (#PCDATA) >
	Is a understand the text of section 4.5, the Object element can also
encapsulate
	any XML markup. Therefore the content model must be ANY instead of
(#PCDATA).
	Gregor
Strictly speaking, XML v1.0 defines "ANY" to mean "any of the elements
defined in the DTD" whereas we would like it to mean "PDCDATA or any
well-formed XML instance".  Hence, the DTD model is really inadequate here
though some might consider "ANY" to be closer than "PCDATA".

Note: The XML Schema model allows one to say that any well-formed XML
instances can be the content of an element.

Ed