RE: Clarify `UTF-8'

Hi TAMURA-san,

According to the table you cited, I have so far meant UTF-8N in every
instance where UTF-8 is currently used.

However, I have not before seen any document that prepends an encoding
signature, nor have I ever seen a reference to UTF-8N.  Is there any support
other than this table for the UTF-8N nomenclature, or am I just behind the
curve on this one?

To the contrary, the XML 1.0 specification clearly uses the encoding UTF-8
(which is the default) to mean UTF-8N by the table you cited.  For example,
Section 4.3.3 contains the following sentence:

"Note that since ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, ordinary ASCII entities do not
strictly need an encoding declaration."

Thanks,
John Boyer,
Software Development Manager