Re: Updated c14n Spec

From: David Blondeau <blondeau@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:48:12 -0700
To: "Petteri Stenius" <Petteri.Stenius@remtec.fi>, "'John Boyer'" <jboyer@PureEdge.com>, "Joseph Reagle" <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: "XML DSig" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
> I need to read the attributes of a element anyway, and I also need to sort
> them using the attribute name and the namespace uri as sort keys. This is
> the minimum requirement in all cases.
I just wanted to show that your suggestion was worst than the one in the
draft because you have to be carefull about namespace prefixes used in
attributes values. Your suggestion was to put  namespaces only when they are
used, my question is then: how do you know a prefix is used in an attribute
value?
For that, you need to know all the prefixes in scope so you need to walk on
the tree to get the namespaces prefixes, and then do a really difficult
parsing job...
No matter how you are doing it, you need all the namespace declarations in
scope for each element.

The january draft of C14n was easier on this point since it didn't care
about prefixes in attribute values.

David