RE: Manually Signed Digest as an XML signature type

     First, your last statement that if there is no strong binding to the
document no electronic signature mechanism is useful is valid and, I hope,
not even controversial.  If great ease of forgery (much easier than that
for conventional signatures, for example) can be demonstrated for a
signature technique it is good for nothing at all.
     I ordinarily understand the term "biometric mechanisms" to refer to
measurements of non-voluntary characteristics (including voice prints)
rather than to speech recordings or handwriting, and I think most people do
as well.
     The essential question about the mechanisms suggested here is "how
easy and undetectable is a forgery in this case"?  Your statement that "if
I have even one sample of handwriting I can produce forgeries" is true to
some extent, but if taken as an absolute it would render any handwritten
signature on a document (probably on a handwritten document, but certainly
on a typed one) completely untrustworthy.  However, such signatures are
routinely accepted for many purposes.

          Tom Gindin

Philip Hallam-Baker <pbaker@verisign.com> on 06/09/2000 06:08:33 PM