RE: Manually Signed Digest as an XML signature type

     Electronic signatures are not restricted to biometrics.  In
particular, a sound recording of an individual speaking a simple form of
words including a recital of a specific document's digest would be
feasible, would be an electronic signature, and would be properly bound to
the document's digest in such a way as to constitute a signature of the
document.  Similar methods involving handwriting may also be feasible.  The
difficulty in these schemes is not that they are not valid signatures, but
that the last step in validating the signature is not cryptographic and may
not be readily automatable.
     My suggestion was not intended primarily for biometrics, as like many
others I have not yet been convinced of the usefulness of biometrics for
the execution of signatures as distinct from access control (including
access control for key storage).

          Tom Gindin

Philip Hallam-Baker <pbaker@verisign.com> on 06/09/2000 04:34:47 PM