Re: Simple subtree() function for Xpath transform and c14n

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:43:20 -0400
To: "John Boyer" <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
Cc: "XML DSig" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, "Philippe Le Hegaret" <plh@w3.org>, <jboyer@csr.csc.UVic.CA>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
At 13:17 2000-06-07 -0700, John Boyer wrote:
 >This trivially solves all of the problems.  For example, the barename
 >xpointer given by URI="#E" could be represented by the expression
 >
 >subtree(id("E"))

I think it is a useful proposal.

However, to this point of URI="#E", we don't control the definition of
XPtr's Bare Name. Consequently, the text in [1] will have to be changed. I
may be wrong (I hope so), but I expect this means that References to XML
fragments of the type URI="#NAME" will be quite useless. Also means we might
have to add the "clean-URI" text [2] that used to be associated with the
IDREFs...

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmldsig-core-20000601/#sec-Reference
[URI] permits identifiers that specify a fragment identifier via a
separating number/pound symbol '#'. (The meaning of the fragment is defined
by the resource's MIME type). XML Signature applications MUST support the
XPointer 'bare name' [Xptr] shortcut after '#' so as to identify IDs within
XML documents.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xmldsig-core-20000104/#sec-ObjectReference
URI/IDREF only permits a 'clean' URI or IDREF; fragment identification is
specified under Transforms. This choice permits References to identify a
fragment of a document that is encoded: the Reference identifies the
resource, the first Transform specifies decoding, the second Transform
specifies the fragment.