Re: XPTr bare names and XPATH id()

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:11:20 -0400
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Daniel Veillard" <veillard@w3.org>, "John Boyer" <jboyer@PureEdge.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
At 15:32 2000-06-07 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
 >There is no debate that the referent of a barename XPointer == XPath
 >id() function is a nodeset consisting of a single element node (or
 >none).

My initial confusion resulted in not understanding what the "analog of the
HTML fragment identifier behavior" [2] meant. John pointed out it didn't
mean what I thought it meant, and you and Daniel have confirmed that.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2000AprJun/0212.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr#synth-2.1.2

 >And in the
 >XPath data model, just like the Infoset, when you point at something,
 >you implicitly point at everything you can access from it.

Could you cite the text you are referring to for the sake of completeness?

 >I think for me to help further with this, I need to see the referenced
 >correspondence from James and Steve -- is it in the dsig archive?

I don't think there was any correspondence from James or Steve.