Re: Comment on Canonical XML draft of 2000-06-01, clause A.3

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:01:10 -0400
To: John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
CC: gregor.karlinger@iaik.at, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, TAMURA Kent <kent@trl.ibm.co.jp>, Petteri Stenius <Petteri.Stenius@remtec.fi>
John Boyer wrote:

> 2) Also recall earlier comments on this list that mean we must change text
> node rendering to include changing all '>' characters to &gt; (as was the
> case in the prior c14n spec).  Based on XML [1] rules 10, 15 and 16, this
> change is not needed for PIs, comments, attributes and namespaces.

Right.  It wouldn't be safe to use &gt; in a PI node, as it might change
the interpretation of the PI.  In the other cases, the substitution is
safe enough: however, a conservative and sufficient strategy is to
replace all ">"s in *text* nodes only.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>