RE: ID Conflict avoidance between multiple signature blocks

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:02:15 -0400
To: "Mariano P. Consens" <mconsens@uwaterloo.ca>
Cc: <tgindin@us.ibm.com>, "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
At 23:48 2000-05-11 -0400, Mariano P. Consens wrote:
 >A proposed solution to this problem will be sent in a follow up message.

Did you send it? I still am not sure that such a solution is within the
scope of this WG, but if you have a proposal that I can forward on to some
other XML constituency (or maybe take up on xml-dev) I'd be happy to forward
it on.

 >Regardless of any specific solution being accepted by the group, I would
 >suggest
 >to include in the text of the specification a mention of this issue, to
make
 >the
 >reader aware of the potential drawback of using ID attributes within XML
 >Signature applications.

End of 2.0 now reads: "Since a Signature element (and its Id attribute
value/name) may co-exist or be combined with other elements (and their IDs)
within a single XML document, care should be taken in choosing names such
that there are no subsequent collisions that violate the ID uniqueness
validity constraint [XML]."