Re: Minor comments on core draft 200003plc

[Edits for the next version ...]

At 11:43 2000-05-01 -0400, Donald Eastlake 3rd wrote:
 >Section 1.0, 1st pargraph, last sentence.  Replace final word
 >"document" with "element" to follow definition of detached given in
 >definitions section and make the list of types of signatures
 >comprehensive.

Done.

 >Section 2.0, last two sentences.  Does not read too smoothly and
 >implies that detached signatures use URIs to external data objects
 >when a "detached" signature may use a fragment to identify other data
 >in the same document which happens to neither envelope the signature
 >element nor be enveloped by the signature element.  Suggest something
 >like:
 >	Within an XML document, signatures are related by local data
 >objects via local framgent identifiers.  Such local data can be
 >included witin an enveloping signature or can enclose and enveloped
 >signature.  Signatures are related to external data objects via URIs
 >[URI].  Internal data objects which are neither enveloped nor
 >enveloping and all external data objects use detached signatures.

Good point. I used your text, then included the actual definition of
detached, then tweaked it all over resulting with:

Signatures are related to data objects via URIs [URI]. Within an XML
document, signatures are related to local data objects via fragment
identifiers. Such local data can be included within an enveloping signature
or can enclose an enveloped signature. Detached signatures are over external
network resources or local data objects that resides within the same XML
document as sibling elements; in this case, the signature is neither
enveloping (signature is parent) nor enveloped (signature is child).

 >Section 2.2, red sentence, "to references a Signature element" ->
 >"to reference a Signature element".

Ok.

 >Section 4.2, "While we specify a mandatory (and optional)
 >SignatureMethod algorithm," -> "While we specify mandatory and
 >optional to implement SignatureMethod algorithms,".

Ok.

 >Section 4.3.1, "creators" -> "creator's".

Can't find that.

 >Section 4.3.3.1, 1st paragraph, reference at end should be to 8.1, not
 >8.2.

Ok.

 >Section 4.5, suggest changing 1st paragraph as immediately below and
 >moving it down to just before the curretn 5th paragraph that starts

The reason it's first is to be consistent with those in section 6.

 >with "Note. ".
 >   "The type identifier (that can be used within Reference) is:" ->
 >"The type identifier that can be used with Reference for an Object is
 >as follows:".

How about:

The identifier (that can be used within a Reference element to identify the
referents type) is:
Type="http://www.w3.org/2000/02/xmldsig#Object"

 >Section 4.5, curretn 4th paragraph, "signature document" -> "signature
 >element".

Ok.

 >Section 5.2, suggest same type of wording change as immediately
 >above and moving 1st paragraph down to after second.

Kept at location to be consistent, and used similar wording as above.

 >Section 6.6, 2nd paragraph, I don't think final documents should
 >explicitly refere to "the Working Group".  Suggest rewording as "This
 >will maximize applicaiton interoperability on XML signatures.  It
 >appears likely that libraries will be available to enable support of
 >these tranforms in applications without extensive development." or the
 >like.

Ok.

Application developers are strongly encouraged to support all transforms
listed in this section as RECOMMENDED unless the application environment has
resource constraints that would make such support impractical. Compliance
with this recommendation will maximize application interoperability and
libraries should be available to enable support of these transforms in
applications without extensive development.

 >Section 8.1, last line, "application" -> "applicaitons".

Ok.

 >Section 8.2, last sentence, "application" -> "applications".

I think this was done before.