Re: AW: DN is not an identifier (was Re: XML certificate ...)

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 08:40:09 -0400
To: "Peter Lipp" <Peter.Lipp@iaik.at>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
At 07:56 2000-05-14 -0400, Peter Lipp wrote:
 >> Again, I *strongly* encourage Joseph and others at the W3C, as well as
 >> leaders in the IETF, to consider this as a W3C/IETF activity.  It really
 >> *should not* be a Legal XML activity.  But, there should be *someplace*
 >> where this discussion and work can take place . . .
 >I am not fully aware about the procedures, but it should not be too
 >difficult for anybody to initate a BOF at the next IETF e.g., so you could
 >go for it!

In the W3C there are workshops, but they are usually more "costly" to start
than an IETF BoF. I believe for an IETF BoF you generally have to show the
area director(s) that there is a body of interest that would make scheduling
the topic worthwhile. I created the xml encryption list [1] to see if that
thresh-hold of interest is high enough. (Though I haven't committed to
starting/devoting-time to it and their hasn't been all that much
discussion.) Someone could do the same for XML cert (or I'd be happy to
create a list when I get back from Europe).

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-encryption/