XML Core WG is considering dropping C14N as a work item

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:25:10 -0500
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Cc: w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org
During the 2000 Apr 19 telcon meeting of the XML Core WG,
the WG discussed whether we should drop Canonicalization [1]
as a work item with the understanding that we would make
public our latest WD (currently [2]) so that XML Sigs (or
anyone else) would have that work to pick up if they wished.

The WG asked that I transmit the results of the straw poll
to the XML Sigs WG.  We had 13 votes to drop it, 4 to keep it.

We then had some subsequent discussion wherein we decided not
to take a formal vote to drop it at this time, but we may take
such a vote at our telcon next week.

If we do not drop it as a work item, it is still clear that we
are well behind our schedule on C14N, and we would likely not
get back to work on it for some time.

paul
Paul Grosso, Co-chair of the XML Core WG

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#c14n [member only]
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n