SignedInfo Type Attribute

From: Gregor Karlinger <Gregor.Karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:09:42 +0100
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>, David Solo <dsolo@alum.mit.edu>, Donald Eastlake <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
CC: ML W3C XML-Signature <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I have a question regarding the SignedInfo "Type" attribute:

In the latest draft version (19991217) section 2.3 asserts the
following:

"The optional Type attribute provides information about the content of
the
 resource identified by URI/IDREF. In particular, it can indicate that
it
 contains a SignatureProperties, Manifest, or Package element."

If the ressource is identified by an IDREF, I think there is no problem.

But what happens if the ressource is part of an XML document and is
identified by means of an URI and a XPath Transform? Is this possible
at all? If yes, what does the assignment of the "Type" attribute mean
in that case?

Example:

<Signature>
      <Reference URI="" Type="&dsig;/Manifest">
        <Transforms>
          <Transform
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116">
             AnyXPathTransformSelectingAManifestElement
          </Transform>
        </Transforms>
</Signature>

Regards, Gregor