Comments Section

From: <dee3@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:51:55 -0500
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
There is currently a dummy section 4.4 in the draft on comments.  I suggest
it be change to

"No use is made in this specification of XML comments, either
within Sigature or any other element defined herein.

Note that XML comments inside SignedInfo will be signed for any
CanonicalizationMethod (including none) specified herein.  Thus,
unless a customized CanonicalizationMethod is used, any changes
to comments inside SignedInfo will cause signature failure.
Similarly, the XML signature over any XML data will be sensitive
to comment changes unless Transforms are used which drop out
such comments."

Donald

PS: I believe the lastest W3C infoset and canonicalization documents
preserve comments.

Donald E. Eastlake, 3rd
IBM, 17 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA
dee3@us.ibm.com   tel: 1-914-784-7913, fax: 1-914-784-3833

home: 65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1, Carmel, NY 10512 USA
dee3@torque.pothole.com   tel: 1-914-276-2668