RE: Without breaking (formerly: The real crux... )

This is an important requirement for the system, I do not however accept
that this automatically leads to this being a DigSig requirement

Being able to process a document to detach/re-attach a signature sound
to me useful and reasonable.

I am not clear as to what the signatures would be doing wrt the records
archive system proposed. Unless the signature is prepared in a manner that
is archive friendly (signing a manifest of content + abstract) I don't
see what can be usefully done with it.

You have to have the content for the signature to tell you anything.
A digital signature only has meaning if it has been verified.

What you could do in an archive situation is to create a signature on
an archive manifest covering the original document, an abstract and
the original signature.

Such a signature would be a second order statement (a signature attesting
to the fact a signature once existed). But in the circumstance proposed
that is the best that can be done.

		Phill