Re: Who cares what MUST be signed? (was Locations...)

From: Chris Smithies <Chris_Smithies@penop.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:02:40 +0000
To: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@w3.org>
cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

> it seems that it is ONLY the verifier that cares what is
signed.  When does the signer really WANT to sign something except to
satisfy the needs of verifiers.  What advanatage [sic] does the signer
have?<

If I electronically sign a money-order, it might be to my advantage that
nobody can slip a couple of zeros on the end. That's one example. Although
I think it will usually be the case that the form or document designer
won't be the signatory, it is very often for the signatory's protection
that the signature is required. I wouldn't want my bank to honour unsigned
cheques, for example, even though it's the bank which requires that cheques
be signed.

CPK Smithies
PenOp