Re:RE: Locations but not Transforms as hints

From: Chris Smithies <Chris_Smithies@penop.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:46:43 +0000
To: rhimes@nmcourt.fed.us
cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Yes: it seems simple to me. Have a Location which the core can use to fetch
the document for verification; but don't include the Location in
SignedInfo, otherwise moving the document breaks the signature (at least,
as far as the core is concerned). Then, if the document changes location,
simply change the Location field accordingly. Isn't it as simple as that?

Why, when no other kind of electronic signature is invalidated by changing
the document's location, should XML signatures be any different? I can't
see why. Perhaps some kind and patient person could explain to me what I am
missing here.