RE: Minutes 99-October-28

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:04:09 -0400
To: "Jim Schaad (Exchange)" <jimsch@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com>
Cc: IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
At 13:38 99/10/28 -0700, Jim Schaad (Exchange) wrote: > Leave
 >><ObjectReference Location="<http://www.ietf.org>http://www.ietf.org"> as
 >>is.
 >I must have
 >missed something someplace -- When did location become an attribute
 >rather than an element?

Hi Jim, thaks for paying careful attention to the notes!

I proposed it (a HREF) as way of trying to to come up with some conventions
for syntax usage [1]. Also, it is a more typical way of using links,
particularly in the XLink context. Don proposed that we then move all URIs
into attributes [2]. There wasn't much disagreemnt to this convention on the
list or calls. Today's call was to confirm what we wanted to do with it:

[Agenda]
  Leave an attribute but change name to HREF?
  Make an element with an HREF attribute?
  Make an element with URI content?

So my note-takers comment of "leave as is" was biased in that it was from
the perspective of my proposal, but you are right, from the perspective of
anyone else, this is a change. I've tweaked the notes to show this. (And of
course, if you oppose the change now is certainly a good time to say so.)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/1999OctDec/0073.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/1999OctDec/0082.html

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/