RE: Parameters and Algorithms.

From: Jim Schaad (Exchange) <jimsch@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:30:23 -0700
To: "'Eric Rescorla'" <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: "W3c-Ietf-Xmldsig (E-mail)" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
OK -- lets put this argument on hold for a while and look at the original
proprosal again.

1.  If we put the statment in the draft that the only HashAlgorithm
parameter that can be specified with DSA is SHA-1 we can make a future
modification to the following statement.
When DSA is specified, if |q| == 160, the HashAlgorithm MUST be specfied as
SHA-1.  If |q| == 320, the HashAlgorithm MUST be specfied as AES-HASH.  This
allows for future flexability if needed and specfies both DSA and SHA1 must
be used today.

2.  With regards to the RSA parameters, it would appear that the ONLY thing
you are arguing againist is really the new padding algorithm that I
suggested not the parameterization.  I am sure that you would allow the
P1363 padding algorithm. (I have not verified it includes the hash name, but
I assume it does.)  The fact that I am factorizing out the presentation
should not be an issue with you.  Is this correct?

jim