Re: Comments on core-991001

"Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com> writes:
> >11.  Section 7.1 -- Please remove all references to MD5.  We should not be
> >pushing the older potentially bad hash algorithms (after all MD2 is not here
> >either).  SHA1 will cover our needs until the AES hash algorithm comes along
>
> I'd be interested in others input on this point.  MD5 was
> traditionally the hash algorithm used in IETF protocols until SHA1
> came along.  Are there examples of IETF protocols with SHA1 but
> without MD5?
I can't think of one off-hand, however, the newer TLS ciphersuites
are SHA-1 only.

In any case, I agree with Barbara and Jim. Dobbertin's made
enough inroads into MD5 that I'd rather not see it endorsed.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr@rtfm.com]
          PureTLS - free SSLv3/TLS software for Java