W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org > July to September 1999

Chair Consensus: 990722-tele Minutes

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:36:56 -0400
Message-Id: <>
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

Forwarded for WG consideration and comment.

                     [1]IETF [2]W3C   [3]XML Signature WG
  Chairs: Donald Eastlake and Joseph Reagle
  Note Taker: Joseph Reagle

     * *Donald Eastlake 3rd, IBM, <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
     * *Joseph Reagle, W3C, <reagle@w3.org>
     * *David Solo, Citigroup, <david.solo@citicorp.com>
     * *Barb Fox, Microsoft, <bfox@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
     * *Phillip M Hallam-Baker, VeriSign Inc, <pbaker@verisign.com>
     * *Peter Lipp, IAIK TU Graz,<Peter.Lipp@iaik.at>
     * *James Nicholson, Netscape, <>
     * *Mark Bartel, JetForm Corporation, mbartel@jetform.com
     * *John M. Boyer, UWI.com, <jboyer@uwi.com>
     * *Ed Simon , Entrust Technologies Inc., <ed.simon@entrust.com>
     * *Peter Chen, L.S.U., <chen@bit.csc.lsu.edu>
     * *Richard Brown, GSU, <rdbrown@globeset.com>
     * *Hiroshi Maruyama, IBM, <MARUYAMA@jp.ibm.com>
     * *Brian Lamachia, Microsoft, <bal@microsoft.com>

     * Reference Documents: 
          + [4]Drafts/xmldsig-requirements-990721 [WG draft: candidate
          + [5]Digital Signatures for XML. [Proposal (non-WG,
     * Resulting Document: 
  Review Outstanding Action Items
     * [6]Done: Don Eastlake/Joseph Reagle to propose a time for
       conference calls within a week
     * [7]Done: Joseph Reagle produce another version of requirements
       document based on comments for consensus poll within 1.5 weeks.
     * [8]Done: Joseph Reagle to define how many documents are required
       and author/editor policy within 1.5 weeks.
     * [9]Done: Dave Solo to post Brown/Solo/Fox proposal
     * [10]Open: Don Eastlake to fix date and place for face to face
       meeting. Will send more info on logistcall.
     * Open: Working Group Members to review canonicalization document
       when posted in two weeks.
     * Open: Working Group Members to review and comment
  Agenda and Open Issues
     * Please send comments.
    Time of Conference Calls
     * Continue with present time: Thursdays at 4 ET. Reagle will work to
       find an earlier time if possible that is more convenient for
       Europeans. The time is likely to be inconvenient for Hiroshi in
       Japan regardless. Presently, Lipp is the only European involved,
       Reagle is willing to conference him in from his home.
     * While it is useful to have proposals handy as they provide a nice
       instriument of consideration it is easier to build a document and
       WG concensus by starting with a small document/outline and growing
       the issues, consensus, and accepted proposals from it. Also, it
       means -- even with a crufty document with holes -- that everything
       has some status with respect to WG consensus, so it is easier to
       get external comment/feedback.
    Outline of Core Syntax Document
     * Reagle/Brown(990804): will work to produce an outline of the core
          + Just the core part that we can plug things into. Define
            companion specifications if necessary.
          + Requirements document should be included by reference.
    Core Syntax Proposal
     * Solo/Brown/Fox (990804): will work to have a rough document of
       alternative syntax.
    Scenarios Document
     * It would be nice to have a document that describes the scenarious
       we are addressing. parralell, cascade, message parts, documents,
       PDU (protocol data units)
     * Boyer (990804): volunteers as editor, create draft scenario.
          + Boyer: scenario that demonstrates weakenesses in manifest
          + Boyer: Look to Brown: for scenarios such as how to construct
            a receipt
          + Eastlake: IOTP scenario.
          + Lamachia/MS: protocol scenario
    Data Model
     * Reagle(990804): create rough data model
          + Reagle: convene a call if necessary.
          + Brown: scan in data model diagram and send to Reagle.
          + Hiroshi and Chen: willing to work on data model.
  Carry-Over and New Action Items
     * [12]Open: Don Eastlake (990723): to fix date and place for face to
       face meeting .
     * Open: WGMembers (990804): review canonicalization document when
     * Open: Reagle: Find an ealier time if possible for teleconf.
     * Open: Reagle/Brown(990804): will work to produce an outline of the
       core spec
     * Open: Solo/Brown/Fox (990804): will work to have a rough document
       of alternative syntax.
     * Open: Boyer (990804): volunteers as editor, create draft scenario.
     * Open: Reagle(990804): create rough data model


   1. http://www.ietf.org/
   2. http://www.w3.org/
   3. http://www.w3.org/Signature/Overview.html
   4. http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-requirements-990721.html
   5. http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-signature-990618.html

Joseph Reagle Jr.   
Policy Analyst           mailto:reagle@w3.org
XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/
Received on Thursday, 22 July 1999 17:36:48 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 + w3c-0.29 : Thursday, 13 January 2005 12:10:07 GMT