RE: Some possible rqmt/design points

From: Phillip M Hallam-Baker <pbaker@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:33:04 -0400
To: <david.solo@citicorp.com>, "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I would like to know the reasoning for prohibiting
criticality flags.

The semantics "if you do not understand X then you
do not understand this signature" appears to me to be
essential.

For example X might be 'check that this document has
not subsequently been revoked and superceeded using
a (specified) OCSP type mechanism'.

This type of semantics is essential if signed documents
are to be used to represent signed negotiable documents
such as a letter of credit of a bill of lading.

		Phill