Re: WEBDAV Security

At 05:58 PM 4/30/97 -0700, Jon Radoff wrote:

>I'm not so sure that ACLs should be included.  I think that the issues
>surrounding permissions on a network are too complex -- current ACL
>infrastructures are already falling short.  I think that permission
>control on the network should be addressed in a separate context.

Can you imagine the drubbing a vendor would take in the press and
on the net if they shipped tools without any means for controlling who
could and could not add pages to a site? Security of the authoring
environment is a serious issue that will be addressed - if not here
then by the implementors as they roll out DAV-compliant tools. The
only way for the security mechanisms of those tools to stand a chance
of interoperation is for this group to specify the mechanisms.

The main point of your objection seems to be that current ACL mechanisms
are not coping with all the complexitites of the networked environment,
therefore we should not do anything about ACLs until a mechanism is found
that can deal with those complexities. I have some agreement with the
premise, but disagree totally with the conclusion. If this group can do
only as much as specify the way to indicate Read/Write/Execute permission
for Owner/Group/World then I think we will have a 95% solution to the
problem. More than good enough for the needs of this group. If implementors
want to go beyond that to tackle further problems in ACLs, they can use
that as a selling point. Interoperation is our goal.

Regards,

Ron Daniel Jr.              voice:+1 505 665 0597
Advanced Computing Lab        fax:+1 505 665 4939
MS B287                     email:rdaniel@lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Lab      http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rdaniel
Los Alamos, NM, USA, 87545