Re: Distributed Authoring Proposals

Me:
>I think in MIME that "message" and "multipart" are treated specially.
>They're not just "application", they're media type where the sender
>intends for the recipient to actually unwrap the message. I don't think
>you should *ever* store something as "multpart". Rather, a content
>negotiated resource is "multpart/alternative", message/http is just
>another wrapper around the HTTP message as if the wrapper weren't there,
>etc.

Roy:
> That is true for the MIME recipient, but not for the MIME sender.
> Unlike in MIME, WEBDAV represents the process of establishing on the
> server the content of future sends, and therefore anything that
> might be sent in the future must be acceptable as data and not
> as control actions.

Roy, is this true for PUT in general, or are you thinking that
WEBDAV has some other special action? Is the PUT body in general
required to be "this is what you will send as the content of
future GET requests", or is it more complex than that?

For example, if we're storing a document with server-side includes,
would you use PUT, or STORE-SOURCE, or PUT to a different URL?

I wish I felt confident that WEBDAV actually had addressed these
fundamental simple operations, before we went off onto long
flights of design around COPY and MOVE and establishing metadata.

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com