RE: Partial Puts

As anyone running on a 28.8 modem or less will tell you, this isn't an
optimization, this features determines if the user can function. I sat
down with the Office people and they showed me some of their user
scenarios, they involve having files on servers edited remotely by users
sitting behind modems of all speeds and sizes. Office's latency problems
are especially bad because they sell somewhere around 40% of their
product outside the US. I believe you will find that anyone on this
group who ships a commercial distributed authoring system will tell you
that partial write isn't an optimization, it is a critical piece of
their functionality. I know that is certainly true for Microsoft.

But the need for partial PUTs isn't the issue here. With the STRUCTURE
method it is possible to do a de facto partial put, regardless of
anyone's feelings on the subject. The real question is - should a Range
header be used? I had originally thought to use a RANGE method where one
would submit a Range header and get back a URI. The problem with that is
the performance hit. After talking with the IIS and Office folks we
figured that the performance hit is so large that we had to use a Range
header rather than a Range method. Again, I strongly suspect that Office
and IIS's experience is representative. If not, I'm sure that the other
members of the group who ship distributed authoring server products will
speak up. I can only speak for Microsoft's experience in this area.

The clean is the RANGE method. I think everyone can agree on that much.
The problem is, its performance is no where near good enough for anyone
who needs to sell a system to implement. So the question we need to ask
ourselves is - Are we willing to sacrifice some cleanliness for
interoperability? If everyone is going to implement something like a
range header and if they all do it separately and thus differently, have
we aided the cause of interoperability? I am not saying that we should
sacrifice good design on the alter of performance. I am saying that
sometimes there are close calls when the clean solution has not so great
performance, and the close to clean solution has excellent performance.
I believe this is one of those times.

As for your observation on range lengths. If I understand your point
then you would want to see the range header specify the range to be
inserted into and then have the body placed in that range. If the range
to be inserted into is say, 15-20 and the body is 10 bytes long, then
the first 5 bytes of the range will be overwritten and the remaining 5
bytes of the request entity will be inserted. This is a nice feature but
it complicates the implementation of the server. Keeping the operations
as insert or overwrite not only makes for simpler code, it also makes it
easier to leverage services already present in OS's.

As for the issue of entity tags, there are times when one intentionally
wants to overwrite a byte range where the resource has been altered
since one last used it. However, if someone wants to make sure such a
change has not occurred, then an entity tag is a great choice. It is
certainly cheaper and easier than a lock.

		Yaron