re metadata (one word)

Ron Daniel wrote:
| It seems to me that to make progress, this group needs to agree on
| a few simple points and stop arguing over them. Can we start by
| agreeing on two things:
|
| 1) Neither headers or separate resources meet all the requirements on
|    metadata in WEB-DAV, so we will need a combined solution.
|
| 2) All communications between clients and servers will take the form of
|    MIME messages, and frequently those messages will be multipart/related?
|
| The last seems uncontroversial to me, but then I have been accused of being
| an optimist :-).  I hope that the former is also uncontroversial given
| the last few messages on this list.

Agree with both.  (2) is a model I think will answer XML's need for
a packaging mechanism, and for reasons I think are generalizable to
this group's needs.

Regards,
  Terry Allen    Electronic Publishing Consultant    tallen[at]sonic.net
       specializing in Web publishing, SGML, and the DocBook DTD
                   http://www.sonic.net/~tallen/
  A Davenport Group Sponsor:  http://www.ora.com/davenport/index.html