Re: Last call: range locking

Quentin:

Your testimonial not withstanding, the issue is NOT whether "byte range
locking" is a useful feature in operating systems. The issue is not
about the feature at all. We're not designing an operating system, we're
designing a network protocol for web authoring.

Or, to quote myself from a private conversation about this:

> You keep on talking about function, and I'm talking about protocol.
> The issue isn't whether the function needs to get exposed, the
> issue is whether the protocol needs to be aware of it. I don't
> see any good reason why the protocol needs to get more complicated
> to deal with "byte range locking" when "resource locking" covers
> it, because a "byte range" can be a "resource".

The Internet already has many network protocols for file systems.
WEBDAV is not, and should not become, a network protocol for
file system replacement. (If that's what you want, why, we already
have NFS and CIFS to contend with.)

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter