Re: Email access to DAV functionality

Jim Whitehead wrote:

> 3) Have email and disconnected operation be in-scope for limited contexts:
>
> Quoting Larry Masinter (from the same mail message), this might take the
> form of:
>
> >define a kind of "limited disconnected operation",
> >i.e., where the editor of resource-content is disconnected
> >from the resource location while editing is taking place,
> >but must be connected in order to actually update or
> >interact with the resource.

From first hand experience and a limited amount of anecdotal
evidence, I think that disconnected operation
(at least the sort that Larry writes about) would be very valuable.

On the other hand, after noodling about it quite a bit, the
design doesn't seem obvious to me at all.

Note that email might be insufficient for the
the sort of disconnected operation that Larry
mentions: an update operaition might involve one or
more synchronous operations (i.e. round-trips).

I'd like to hear from experienced designers/implementors on
this issue: is disconnected operation a long-standing research
issue, or a straighforward engineering excercise? or something
in-between?

Dan